I’m feeling quite excited, I’ve just written an editorial for Mailout magazine, a national participatory arts mag. I’ve not written one before so I’m feeling very pleased with myself. It should be in the September Issue, so keep I’ll be keeping an eye out for it!
I’ve been considering the basic principles involved with working with the community this week in relation to cultural development. The ones I like best and would aspire to work to are in Arlene Goldbards book, New Creative Community – The Art of Cultural Development. She identifies seven points as being necessary for cultural democracy;
’1. Active participation in cultural life is an essential goal of community cultural development.
2. Diversity is a social asset, part of the cultural commonwealth, requiring protection and nourishment.
3. All cultures are essentially equal and society should not promote any one as superior to the others.
4. Culture is an effective crucible for social transformation, one that can be less polarizing and create deeper connections than other social-change arenas.
5. Cultural expression is a means of emancipation, not the primary end in itself; the process is as important as the product.
6. Culture is dynamic, protean whole and there is no value in creating artificial boundaries within it.
7. Artists have roles as agents of transformation that are more socially valuable than mainstream art world roles – and certainly equal in legitimacy.’
I certainly aspire to follow these principles, but only rigorous self reflection can ensure this. And that is the hard bit!
yay ! after the technical problems have been overcome, i’m pleased to announce the homepage is now live, wow the whole site is now live !
hello world !